Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Something to Think On...


Three old ladies sat in a Tea Parlor for lunch. Margaret, 75, Anne, 77, and Page ranking higher than the rest at age 84. Margaret was always quick to answer any question and Anne was the one who usually asked all of them.

  Anne and Margaret were loud and full of giggles, while Page sat quietly with a small smile twinkling in her eyes.  Margaret and Anne never really knew what to do with Page, but were somehow drawn to her.

 While they chatted at the parlor, Margaret fingered her withered cheekbone. “You know, Anne, I think I get new wrinkle every day. My grandkids have been coming over more often lately, that might be why.” She said with a chuckle.

 “Oh I know what you’re talking about. I feel like my skin has been sitting too long in the dryer the way it crinkles.” Anne replied, shaking her head sadly. “But, what can you do?”

 They sipped their teacups as a long silence filled the air. “Do we have wrinkles by choice?” Margaret asked. “It always seemed to me that whenever my kids would come for a visit or my husband went into the hospital, I aged more.”

 Anne turned to Page. “What do you think?”

Page sat up and folded her hands on the white linen tablecloth. She rolled her eyes to the ceiling for a moment before answering.

 Her old, raspy voice came strong and confident. “Dear, wrinkles are the best things that are preserved from a life well lived. If you have lived a life of smiles and happiness,” She pointed to the corners of her eyes and mouth. “These appear.” She then moved a delicate finger to the drooping skin under her eyes.

 “This means long, hard nights of nursing sick children back to health, helping the poor and needy, and sacrificing bucket loads of sleep for others when carrying their burden.” She smiled. “I think God gives us wrinkles just because it reminds us of how we should live: running for ourselves a race of selflessness, gratitude, smiles, faithfulness and mercy.”

2 comments:

  1. I assume you wrote that, right? I like it... :)

    Very good point. I think it's great to look ahead to being old and think about what kind of wrinkles we want to have. Everyone gets wrinkles, but not all of them are from laughing...

    ReplyDelete

  2. Yes, I did write it :) At first I was going to add another message explaining the more literal meaning behind it, but then I figured it would create more of a thought process thinking about the story as deeply as you want :P

    ReplyDelete